What, wait, author appearances? Anna does that? Anna does, in fact, DO THAT! If opportunities arise!
I will be participating in the online writers’ convention CoyoteCon this weekend. Right now I’m slated for the Kickstarter & Crowdfunding panel on Sunday the 28th, and I’m the only one on the panel! So if you’re curious about the whole crowdfunding thing, or you have experience to share, come by and say hi and we’ll chat about it!
Meanwhile, I’m showing up for the local Sherlock Seattle convention the first weekend of November, run by none other than the fantabulous mamishka! I’m attending more in my capacity of ‘fan of Sherlockian fiction’ rather than my capacity as ‘writer’, but nonetheless, I will be there. And I’ll be on panels and everything. If you’re showing up, look for me, and we’ll yak about all things Holmes!
So here’s a super-quick summary of the various awesome things about Norwescon 34, this past weekend:
- At least a couple people seem to have taken my Faerie Blood cards off the freebie rack, because two more people have added me on Goodreads. Thank you, Goodreads adders!
- I did actually sell one of my Faerie Blood CDs, on Sunday afternoon while I was waiting for solarbird! Thank you, nice lady in fairy dress who stopped to talk to me in the lobby, and I hope you enjoy the book.
- Dara got props from the Seattle Geekly podcast for the awesomeness of her music programming!
- I discovered that nerdcore is, in fact, pretty cool.
- My and Dara’s friend tereshkova2001 took Best in Show for her Na’vi costume at the Masquerade! Go Torrey!
- seanan_mcguire (Mira Grant) up for Best Novel Hugo for Feed! BOOYA!
- I volunteered officially for the first time ever. I got over 15 hours helping Dara by running water to various performers, and by helping man the merch table as well! This netted me several free books and a shirt. Go me!
- Stood in line for nearly two hours to get books signed by jimbutcher and his wife Shannon. Worth EVERY MINUTE. Also got to get a book signed by the awesome katatomic, and said hello to Mary Robinette Kowal as well. Told her I very much looked forward to reading my copy of her book.
- Bought several awesome shirts, including one of Jayne’s shirts from Serenity and a new Matt Smith Doctor Who shirt!
- Got a mass market copy of jpsorrow‘s (Benjamin Tate’s) Well of Sorrows, bought directly from him after a great panel on ebooks. He very kindly signed it for me right then, too! Thanks, Joshua!
- Had the pleasure of meeting Heather Dale and her husband Ben, and watching them do a joint double set with vixyish and tfabris and solcita and stealthcello. Bought a couple more of Heather’s CDs and a shirt, and she very kindly signed a CD for me as well. Her song about Sedna, the Inuit goddess of the sea, was GREAT. She is now clearly part of the ongoing conspiracy to make all my favorite music Canadian. 😀
- My and Dara’s favorite Barcon quote: VODKA OF THE RIGHTEOUS! APPLE TINIS OF THE JUST!
All in all this was a very, very enjoyable convention and I look forward to doing more Actual Volunteering next year! And maybe doing some actual readings or something. ‘Cause, like, I have a book and stuff.
Taking a moment to put up a post before having dinner, just to say that I’ve left assorted business cards on the freebie table and the flyer rack here at Norwescon. If anybody happens to pick one up and comes by this site to visit, hello and welcome, and I hope your convention is being awesome so far!
If you HAVE come by because of Norwescon and you’re interested in buying my book, arrange to find me before EOD on Sunday and I’ll sell you one of my small number of Faerie Blood CDs. That will get you an ePub AND a PDF of the book, both DRM-free, along with a free short story, “The Disenchanting of Princess Cerridwen”. I’m offering Norwescon attendees a special price of $5 per disk!
So say hi if you are at the con and you see this, and tell me how your con is going! Better yet, find me and do it in person. 🙂
Not doing anything in any sort of official “writer” capacity–but I’ll be showing up at various panels out of basic interest, and hope to see any of y’all who might be reading this there. 🙂 Look for me in particular at any panels where the redoubtable katatomic and jimbutcher are involved!
I’ll also have the last six Faerie Blood CDs with me, so if anybody who’ll be at the con wants one, bug me about that! And I’ll leave a lot of my business cards on the freebie table as well.
Please also do bug me if you want to meet up for a meal or a snack or something. Those of you who I know locally anyway probably already have my cell number for texting purposes. But if you don’t and you want it, shoot me an email with how I can reach you, and we’ll meet up! (Gmail is my preferred email address, annathepiper as always.) I’m busy early Thursday evening, when I’ll be having dinner with karenjunker. Then I’ll be playing backup guitar for my beloved solarbird later that same evening! But other than that my options are fairly open.
See you all there, I hope!
I am now cleared for time off to attend Norwescon! And I’m taking the Thursday AND Friday, so I’ll be there for the entire convention! Aside from playing backup guitar for solarbird, my plans are relaxed and groovy. Being as I am an urban fantasy author and all, I’ll likely be findable attending various urban-fantasy-themed panels. Since I’m bringing the General, I’ll also try to attend at least SOME filk.
I’ll be bringing a handful of my Faerie Blood business cards to leave on the freebie rack, and in case anybody actually wants to buy one, I’ll have my small set of Faerie Blood CDs as well.
So if you’re going to be there and you’re interested in meeting up for a meal of some sort or joint attendance of panels or something, let me know!
… and if you might happen to see me, please feel free to say hi. I won’t be doing anything formal-like related to the convention, I’m just attending like everybody else, but I’m in the mood to maybe see and talk to new faces. I’ll be seeing if I can show up at any e-pub related panels that might happen to be going on; failing that, I’ll probably be hanging out in suitable places to people-watch while I try to poke at words, either on my iPhone or my black MacBook. I’ll be the blonde chick in the dark blue-and-green velvet cap with a leaf pin on it. Chances that I’ll be wearing a Doctor Who shirt with David Tennant on it are extremely high!
So yeah. Hope to see some of you at the convention this weekend!